Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Dating Inquisition

I will be the first to admit that my dating history has been interesting and kind of spotty. I have heard that I can be perceived as intimidating, which is frustrating since I often feel anything but. I have had a streak of "good luck," lately and of course this attracts attention from people who care for me. I have found myself sometimes irritated when people inquire how the personal life is going, partly because I don't even know myself, and also partly because I have never had to field these questions before. Since I am older than the societal norm for my area, and not married, there is naturally some curiosity about how I am going to fix that. I am usually pretty certain about things in my life as far as my personal relationships go and if I am not sure, then I find out. This time around as I have been doing my dating I have been trying to enjoy the process (is that possible?) This is not my favorite because it usually means I am holding back to avoid scaring the poor man to death. At this point in my life I am relatively certain of the things that I am looking for in a mate, I also am an open book. I am a pretty good communicator of my feelings and emotions. I am not afraid to share things with people but have discovered that sometimes mystery is not a bad thing. I just don't like not knowing how the other person is feeling.

For some reason I was under the horrible assumption that as I got older dating would get easier. Ummm, yeah, no. It turns out that I still end up feeling like an angst ridden teenager, just one with bills to pay and the frantic worry of watching my child-bearing years fly by.

No comments: