Friday, November 7, 2008

Choosing Sides

With the elections past I was hoping for a little peace but alas it is not so. As a liberal Mormon, I admit that I had some reservations about the whole Prop 8 controversy. I spent 5 days in San Diego only a week before the election and it definitely opened my eyes to a lot of things. I admit that I had not heard a lot about the proposition mostly because I didn't realize the impact it was having on people in California. I was conflicted because even as I stand behind the standards of my chosen faith, I also believe that people no matter their race, gender or religion should have equal rights, whether I agree with how they choose to live or not. This thinking can often get me into trouble because at what point does tolerance become acceptance?

I finally had the chance to hear both sides of the argument while in CA. The friend that I was staying with had been involved in the "Yes to Prop 8" campaign and we also spent some time with someone who was involved in the opposite side. I got to listen to them discuss the finer points of the proposition which was good because I had some misconceptions. The most important is that Prop 8 took away the rights of same-sex couples regarding insurance, adoption, and the basic rights as a human being. I have read the actual text for the law and studied both sides and can tell you that it is NOT true. Once I discovered this it made my decision somewhat easier.

Here is my final thinking and I will explain why. If I was a resident of California, I would have voted yes to Prop 8. First and foremost while I am lucky enough not to deal with same-sex attraction, I am no stranger to the dilemma. I will admit that I don't understand and probably never will, but that is okay. I still love the people I know and accept them for who they are and it doesn't mean that I agree with it. Second, my religion is very important to me. It has truly helped define who I am and guides me on a day to day basis. The thing I find interesting is that this is the FIRST time in modern history that the LDS church has taken a position in politics. That alone was important for me to see. I don't think that the leadership did it because they are bigots or want to be divisive. The simple truth is that we believe that as the values of the world change around us, we should not. We live in the latter days and I had to decide for myself who I want to stand with in the end. I am not a bigot and I take offense to anyone who suggests that because I am Mormon that I am.

It's a tough issue for sure, but I wish people would stop placing the "blame" on the LDS church for standing up for something it considers important. As the gap between the values of the world and those of reilgion widen, there are going to be more instances like this when it will no longer be acceptable to be on the fence and sides will need to be chosen. Which side will you choose?

No comments: