Saturday, October 3, 2009

Dating Do's and Don'ts (For Men)

Some of the Do's:
  • Do open doors and pull out chairs for me.
  • Do ask me about the temperature in the car.
  • Do make it clear that the outing is a date. A phrase such as "It's a date" while planning works quite effectively.
  • Do warn me about proper attire. I don't mind if you keep our activity a surprise but give me advance warning if I will need a rain poncho or hiking boots.
  • Do let me know if you are going to be late. A text is usually sufficient.
  • Do include me in the planning. It can be fun to take turns. But make it clear if you intend to pay or not.
And the Don'ts:
  • Don't be offended if I don't wait for you to open my door. It's possible that I have been single for a while and have become accustomed to doing things on my own. It does not mean I don't want you to.
  • Don't try to be sneaky. When I tell you that I have played the piano for 22 years, it's pretty obvious that you are trying to find out how old I am when you ask at what age I started. Just ask me.
  • Don't assume after one date that I know what time you will be coming for the next date.
  • DO NOT wait until the afternoon of the date to confirm that you do in fact have a date. Especially when you had not discussed specific times or activities beforehand.
  • DO NOT rely on text messaging to arrange a date. Call me old fashioned but I would rather that you call me. After we have established exclusivity, texting can be fine.
  • DO NOT take me home to meet your parents on a first date. So scary!
  • Don't shake my hand at the end of a date. Ask if a hug is appropriate I am usually happy to oblige.
Just a few tips. Here's to hoping you don't need them!

No comments: