Monday, November 26, 2007

The Frustrations of Being SSLF

This may not be a good way to start a blog as it will probably come of sounding whiny and unappreciative, but so be it. I would first like to address the issue of being a single straight female in an LDS environment. Let me assure you that it is not easy. We are told as young women that the purpose of life is to graduate from high school, marry a returned missionary and procreate. I had to laugh recently when someone asked me what my five year plan was. Seriously? Well at 26 I thought that by now I would be married and have a child or two. So, my five year plan? I will settle for just surviving. It would be even better if every once in a while I could have a date that was not initiated by me.

Another frustration of being a single straight LDS female (hereafter known as SSLF) is the absolutely ridiculous "competition" in a singles ward. Let me give you men out there a warning, women in your singles ward become furious when the new girls get asked out and they have not had the pleasure of your company yet. I believe that most men that I know seek out the wrong type of woman. Not to say that she is an awful person or that there is anything horribly wrong with her, but most men refuse to see that they are surrounded by wonderful, beautiful women that they have never taken a second glance at. A male friend of mine, lets call him "Richard", who I had once had hopes for and who ended up being one of my best friends recently had an enlightening conversation with me. Richard claims that NO man becomes friends with a girl intending to just remain friends. I however, don't believe him because I happen to have quite a few male friends, none of whom have any interest in me. So I believe that he omits one important fact. He doesn't mean ALL girls, only those considered to be one of the few desirable.

No comments: