Thursday, November 29, 2007

Addicted to Facebook

I will freely admit that whenever people talked about MySpace, I thought it was juvenile and I didn't see the point. Granted, I still feel a little bit that way, but I have never bothered to take the time to try an navigate it anyway. I was introduced to Facebook earlier this year and immeadiately became enchanted. It was simpler to understand than myspace and I actually had an excuse to use it because my sister lives cross country and phone calls are expensive. There was some initial frustration because at the time I did not have regular access to the internet. In September I moved into someplace where I could justify the expense since I had to get a land line anyway. It has been great to get in touch with old friends and high school acquaintances and it gives me a line to my sister as well. I wish I could say that is why I use Facebook everyday, but it's not. I am obsessed with Scrabulous. It is a great way to play Scrabble with friends via the internet. My problem now is I HAVE to win. There is a running tally of games lost and won and you are also given a rating. I don't even know how the rating system works but I do know that I want to have the highest score. Currently I have 10 different games I am playing, each with a different person. I have been so anxious to win that I spend much of the work day flipping back and forth between Facebook and the website I am building. In fact I know that I have spent too much time doing this because my boss reprimanded me yesterday. He told me that he checked my internet history and wanted me to figure out how much time I owed him. I know, intense right? So out of curiosity I checked my own history and I was appalled at the time I spent "messing around" as it were. I vow to make a conscience effort to keep myself to using my breaks and my lunch to check Facebook.

I really will try. I think.

1 comment:

alea said...

Wow, draconian. I'm glad that I can waste whole days without my boss being any wiser. See, there are benefits to being ghettoized at your job.