Monday, July 7, 2008

Technologically Dependent

There is no doubt that modern conveniences are both a boon and a bane. Thanks to advancing technology my parents can use GPS to get email updates on where my brother is driving their car and how fast. It also allows me to log into the server at my work from home. As far as disadvantages technology is helping us lose the human touch to interaction. Not to mention that we have become so accustomed to getting things quickly that our attention span and patience are greatly decreased. It still astounds me that I have one friend who does NOT have a cell phone. (He is extremely obstinate, cheap or a-social, haven't decided, maybe all three)

This last weekend was great because it was a long weekend but when I left work on Thursday I left my phone charger plugged in behind my desk. I don't currently have a working vehicle and so by mid-Saturday my phone was dying quick. It gave up on me completely around 4 p.m. and there was nothing I could do about it. It was very odd as I went out with friends that night not to be checking the time on my phone or to see if I had missed any calls or text messages. Added to this is the absence of my keys and purse which are residing with my car 150 miles away. I must admit that I felt a bit lost without something heavy weighing down my pockets. When I finally got to work on Monday and charged my phone I had all kinds of voice mails and text messages. I was a little ticked at myself because I had missed a call from a friend who is in Dubai.

Going without my phone nearly drove me insane. Not being able to be in contact with people was disorienting and frustrating. It's amazing to think how far technology has advanced just in my lifetime. I still remember the first CD player my parents ever bought. Does anyone remember laser discs? I still remember the first cell phone we owned. That giant grey brick with the 12 inch black antennae. Good times! My brother, who is only 17, can't even fathom the fact that a 17 year old with a cell phone used to be ridiculous! I have become so accustomed to instant gratification that it is no wonder that waiting in line for anything longer than 30 seconds irritates me. Conclusion: I am totally technologically dependent. Not that it makes me unhappy per se, just not as grateful as I probably should be until I am faced with the loss. Just like the old saying "You never know what you're missing until it's gone."

No comments: