Thursday, October 16, 2008

To Thine Own Self Be True

There comes a time in life when as adults we must decide something. We must decide whether to be true to our own self or to cave to public opinion. I came to this point many years ago when I realized that if I was going to be the real me, that there would be opposition. I had to learn not to hide myself or my opinions but to realize that if someone opposed me or made a comment about my direction that it needed to just roll off my back. I am not rude in anyway about it, I just am not going to change the person I am based on what someone else thinks. There is a fine line between flaunting differences and embracing them however. I embrace my liberal nature but I don't flaunt it. I'm sure we all know people who insist on seeking attention by pointing out loudly to everyone what makes them unique. Often it is off-putting and deters people from wanting to get to know you. I have adopted the "listen more than you talk" method because I genuinely enjoy learning about other people. This inevitably means that I know a lot about people which requires that I have a measure of self-restraint as there are always people around that want to know the latest chit-chat about people that they don't actually have any interest in.

My nutshell: Independent, free-thinking woman who is seeking someone to share a life with who is not afraid to be different or agree with me on everything. An articulate, honest individual who has a passion for music, the written word, cinematic adventures and culinary delights. I love the gospel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and am proud to call myself a member. I encourage diversity, tolerance and a welcoming attitude for all people.

So, as William Shakespeare once wrote: "To Thine Own Self Be True!"

No comments: