Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Freaky Sleeper

I have issues. Anyone who knows me will not dispute this. A major disturbance in my life right now is my difficulty sleeping. I have been trying all kinds of things. I have seen 3 different doctors undergone several different sleep studies and been prescribed pharmaceutical assistances most of it to no avail. The sleep studies discovered that I have a not-so-safe tendency to stop breathing at various times while I sleep. The solution for this has been a CPAP machine. It looks very similar to the face masks that you see fighter pilots wear in movies. It is this triangle shaped thing that covers my nose then has a strap that goes up to my forehead and wraps around the back of my head. There are also straps that attach to the bottom of the triangle wrap around near my chin and meet in the back. It makes me look soooo pretty! Even with sleep aides I have difficulty falling asleep so added to this wonderful head gear I wear, I also have an eye mask to keep out light because I am hyper-sensitive to anytime my roommates turn on their lights. AND I have a hard time shutting of my brain at night despite the sleep aide so I have headphones on so that I can listen to music. The way I use the music to shut off my brain is that I listen to movie scores and concentrate on remembering what part of the movie this particular piece of music plays during. Or I even have a mix of music scores and I try to identify which movie it comes from. This may sound odd, but it helps me think about something other than dwelling on the things that keep my brain racing at a million miles a minutes. With all this gear, I must look totally insane. Luckily I don't share sleeping quarters with anyone and I am not usually woken by anyone other than my alarm clock. But basically I am one freaky sleeper!

No comments: