Thursday, June 19, 2008

Traffic and Copiers

I had the misfortune of being stuck on the freeway yesterday for 90 minutes yesterday. The misfortune was not necessarily because I was stuck, but because the reason I was stuck was because of a fatal traffic accident. It was mid-day and I was returning to my place of employ from a business appointment. As I approached the area of congestion, I went past one of those permanent electric signs above the freeway which proclaimed that the freeway went to one lane at 3500 south and that all traffic was being diverted. After seeing the sign, I made my way into the right lane so that I could exit or be diverted. People continued to stream past me in the left lanes, despite seeing the sign and somehow thinking it was not true or that they could bypass everyone else. Traffic of course got progressively worse and I actually ended up putting my car in park for a period of time. I actually saw Life Flight land on the freeway and then take off towards a nearby hospital. As the time went on drivers started to use the emergency lane on my right to drive past all the cars that were at a stand still. Imagine the frustration of emergency vehicles when they tried to use this EMERGENCY lane and were thwarted by inconsiderate people intent on getting the jump on the rest of us law abiding citizens. Because of the timing of the accident, it ended up that I did not get off the freeway at 3500 south because they were still directing traffic past the scene. Because of where the accident happened my move into the far right lane ended up being a mistake as all traffic was merging into one lane on the far left. Those of us who were making an effort to merge had to deal with people unwilling to let us in. Most of the people in the left lanes were people that had been speeding past the rest of us who were at a standstill and trying to comply with the suggested traffic precautions. I just don't understand why people can't be courteous drivers. 97% of the time I would rather be considerate and let someone into traffic than to get that one extra car length ahead. And while we are at it, when the sign says "DO NOT BLOCK INTERSECTION," that doesn't mean you get to honk at me when I don't pull forward into the intersection that is NOT supposed to be blocked.

Side note, I am irritated with the copier at my place of employ. It only allows you to make copies in the double digits. If I need 100 copies, I must make 99 and then another 1. It's pretty annoying. I guess I could do 50 then another 50 but how obnoxious is that?

No comments: