Thursday, August 14, 2008

The In Betweens

There are a couple populations of people in Utah communities whose needs have been largely overlooked until recent years. One such group is the special needs adults. In church there is a natural progression to things. Primary, Young Men's/Young Women's and joining of the adult population in classes. Where does that leave those with special needs? Individuals who through no fault of their own are not able to progress pass the mentality of a child or teen. I have discovered that in the Salt Lake Valley there are Special Needs Mutual's that are held weekly and give no regard to age or cognitive ability. I became aware of this group because my mother had been called as the chorister for the group that meets near her house. She has on occasion asked me to fill in for her pianist. I think this is a fabulous idea, it allows parents and the kids to network resources. If you know of a similar program in your area I urge you to get involved. As the Emperor would say, the force is strong with these ones. These people are such a reminder of how elemental our faith should be. There is nothing more pure than their love!

No comments: