Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Acarophobia Dilemma

I have two favorite seasons, winter and spring. I like wearing sweatshirts and curling up in massive amounts of blankets in the winter, but I also really enjoy the short sleeve and sandal weather of spring. I'm not a hot weather person so I dread the oppressive heat of summer. So far it has been a pretty mild summer and I am totally loving it. However, spring has a disadvantage over winter. It's something that causes me irrational fear and anxiety. Mosquitoes. Such a silly thing to fear, but for some reason that is beyond my recollection I abhor mosquitoes. The very sight of one is likely to sending me running in the opposite direction or screaming like a child in distress and waving my hands frantically around my head. By definition a phobia is an abnormal fear of something that is probably harmless. If by harmless you mean a blood-sucking menace that haunts the pleasant twilight of day. (Incidentally this is why I could never be "Team Edward" despite my personal preference )

My current dilemma is that I now fear a mosquito conspiracy has been enacted upon me. That's right, conspiracy. I have seen but one mosquito so far this spring and after some dancing around and hysterical mewling noises I managed to kill it. And so began the war. I have now woken up to a new mosquito bite somewhere on my body at least twice a week for the past month. Just this morning I have discovered a new one. WHY? I don't kill their kin any more or less than the next person. These sneak attacks are slowly unraveling my delicate psyche. My mother claims it is because I have "sweet blood." The very thought of that tiny insect landing on my skin and taking a part of me while I am unaware makes me shiver in horror. Tomorrow I'm buying one of those new Off! personal mosquito fans that clips to your belt. Be forewarned, I am going to be smelling like insect repellant daily until I can quash the conspiracy and stop the revolution. Vive la Danica!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are too funny! i hate mosquitoes also!