Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Genius that is The Piano Guys

Prepare yourselves for unsolicited advertisement. I have a new obsession. And I don't like using the word obsession because it tends to have be overused and sometimes can have a negative connotation, but in this case the word is accurate.

I ♥ The Piano Guys.

If you haven't heard of them I would suggest you go here to their YouTube page and partake in what will surely absorb you for the next few hours. Go ahead, I'll wait......

Okay, now that you have some idea of who they are I can tell you why I love them so much. I can't even remember how I stumbled upon the first video I saw which was Michael Meets Mozart. But I had some previous knowledge of the pianist, Jon Schmidt, so I knew it would be good. I met Jon Schmidt once back around 1996 when my parent's company was binding his piano books so he could sell them. I had heard his piano music and loved playing it, so it didn't take much for me to gravitate to this video. I will admit I acquired a bit of a crush on Steven Sharp Nelson, the cellist, especially after watching the video "Moonlight." I was thrilled when I found out that he lived in my neighborhood. And even more excited when they covered More Than Words, something that I had suggested in a comment on their videos!

The brilliance of the music these guys are creating is not something that I think I can articulate, but I'm going to try. I have a deep love for music anyway, but I would say that one of the things that keeps me coming back for more of their music is that The Piano Guys obviously love what they are doing. There is a passion for music that bleeds from every note they play. They are able to put so much emotion into the music they play that it makes me want to be a better musician. I want my music to touch people in the way that their music has touched me.

What adds to the beauty of their music is the sweeping views of nature which provide such a fantastic backdrop to already great music. The things the crew does is mind boggling! Simply watch Peponi or the Bourne Vivaldi to see what great lengths these group of men go to to produce exquisite videos.

I have struggled with patience waiting for the next video to appear, anxiously checking YouTube on Mondays for another upload. I believe in what they are doing so much that I am a double donator to the "Founders Club" which has earned me two T-shirts and two CD's. I also purchase the new song from their website every time they release another one. I have to admit that I feel so strongly about this music that I sometimes feel like a hysterical teenager, likely to faint at the mere sight of my idol, only in this case it's NOT Justin Bieber.

Was that enough links for you? Can you see what I used the word obsession?

No comments: