Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ground Breaking Cinema

I stumbled across a great cinema treat Saturday one which I can't believe was overlooked by the Academy when it was released in 1998. Initially what made me stop my channel surfing was that I thought I recognized Katherine Heigl who looked really young. After perusing http://www.imdb.com/ I discovered that I was in fact correct. Before I forget, the movie was "Bride of Chucky". I have never felt the need to seek out any of the Chucky movies because even though they are touted as "horror" movies, I just don't see how a walking talking homicidal doll could be frightening. There is more unintentional comedy value than terror for me. The only truly disturbing thing was watching a doll give birth to a living breathing devil doll. It continues to amaze me that Hollywood seems intent on making films that have no cinematic value and have little promise of doing any better at the box office than their predecessors. I saw a preview for Hell Boy II and wondered, do they not remember the mediocrity that was the first one? Does anyone really care about a second one? I certainly don't. It is about as pointless as the second Dr. Doolittle or a second League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. What kind of delusions must a producer be under to want to produce Child's Play VII: The seed of the seed of Chucky?

No comments: