Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Healing Affects of Music

Not many people have made the mistake of arguing with me about music and those who do are not usually repeat offenders. I have extremely strong opinions on music and the effect that it has on people consciously and subconsciously. You can attempt to convince me that you feel no different when listening to KORN than when you listen to Rachmaninoff but you will lose. I majored in Music Therapy at Utah State and can cite study after study including this one, about the effect music has on brainwaves, moods, and healing. I scoff at people who say that music does not effect their outlook on life or the way they treat others around them. Here is an example of the smooth, calming lyrics of Snoop Dogg. Such an inspiration isn't he? I had an argument with my cousin's husband because he insisted vehemently that listening to misogynistic dogg****, was the same to him as listening to the musical stylings of someone like Cyndi Lauper. I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those people that blames an increasingly violent world on the music industry or that fact that first person shooter games are immensely popular among the pre-teen crowd. I do however suggest that after listening to women, blacks, gays, Muslims, Jews, etc. etc. referred to in a derogatory manner "Time After Time" whether it be in the home or on the airwaves, that there is bound to be an effect on the psyche. If you were told day after day that you were a fat slob, even if you were the picture of cleanliness and health, eventually you would begin to believe it. So all I'm saying is that I have no objection to you enjoying the music that you prefer, everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Just don't try to convince me that when I need music to help calm my troubled soul I should listen to Marilyn Manson instead of my usual Norah Jones, ok?

No comments: