Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Wow CNN, you are visionaries!

So two minutes after the polls closed here in Utah CNN had "Breaking News". Romney takes Utah. Really? Seriously? You know I really thought that maybe it might have gone to Guiliani. No? My mistake.

I had a few problems voting today, the first one being that in the past 4 years I have lived in Holladay, Murray, Sandy and Salt Lake. My voter registration has remained in the same precinct as my parents because it was just easier that way. So earlier today I got online to check my polling place, just in case it was not where I remembered. After being told that the system couldn't find my registration I ended up calling the voter office. A nice young lady (who had a mouth full of food) assured me that I would still be voting in Sandy. After work I made the trek out of my way to Sandy so that I could do my civic duty to ensure that my generation will be represented. Upon arriving at the "Cottonwood Improvement District" building (ie dump site for RV waste) I happened upon my parents neighbor who was taking names and he graciously told me that since I didn't live at home I couldn't vote there. I understand that it is not my district and if there was more than one thing on the ballot I could understand, but they are very strict and they sent me on my way. Having to vote provincially was actually an advantage because it meant that I didn't have to vote Republican which I would have had to in Sandy. The other problem is related to party voting. I was not too keen on having to align myself with one party or the other so that I could vote but apparently that is a requirement. I would have preferred to have been able to vote without tying myself to one party or another. I haven't checked with other states, but is it a requirement in every state? And was it really necessary to take my blood because I wasn't voting Republican?

3 comments:

STRINGHAM FAMILY said...

Danica,

how are you? I am glad you said something. I hope things are going great. Keep in touch.

alea said...

only the republicans require to affiliate. You shouldn't have had to sign up as a democrat to vote their ballot.

Thekrogwoman said...

Hey there! What's up? Initially, I was thrown off from your name and I didn't recognize "Hildegarde Cloverleaf". Where are you livin these days? I hope all is well with you! Thanks for 'sayin hi'! Take care!!