Sunday, June 21, 2009

Things I Have Learned From Cooking for Massive Amounts of People

Carrots Julienne.Image via Wikipedia

Cooking for 100+ plus people a day has taught me some things that I thought I should share.
  1. Small children don't like biscuits and gravy. Don't know why.
  2. Vegetarians irritate me. I already have to adjust my menu weekly based on random food restrictions like red and yellow food dye allergies, or gluten allergies. If I put out 5 dishes and only one of them has meat, why do you then demand that I basically take the salad, which you have already eaten and put it on a piece of bread so you can have a sandwich.
  3. You will never please everyone. Shocking, I know.
  4. You must give people instructions on how much food is appropriate for one person, if you don't, people take liberties and you run out of food.
  5. In reference to #5, karma is a killer. One of the staff members was serving himself food and blatantly ignored my sign that said 2 pieces of bacon and piled on 8 pieces. WHILE I WAS STANDING THERE! Not too long after that the staff member in general spilled a very large mop bucket full of water on himself. Karma!!
  6. Kitchen accidents are inevitable. I have had one mishap a week so far.
  • Week one- singed arm hair while barbequeing.
  • Week two- singed hair net and possibly some hair
  • Week three- sliced my left thumb while trying to slice tomatoes
  • Week four- burned myself on the convection oven
  • Week five- julienned my own thumb on a slicer while julienning carrots. The same thumb from week three, resulting in an overlap of wounds.
So hooray for food. I have also found myself unable to eat anything that I have prepared. It's a little weird. It's not that the food is bad, I only make things that I think are good, but I have found myself cringing at the thought of eating food I have prepared even at home.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: