Monday, April 21, 2008

16 all over again!

When I first learned to drive my dad made an attempt to teach me how to drive a manual transmission. It was a total disaster and all of our cars were automatic anyway. Fast forward 6 years and my sister and her husband were living in Sugar City just outside of Rexburg, Idaho. I wanted to go visit them but my car would not have made it so I borrowed one of the family cars, a cute little Honda Civic, with a manual transmission. I knew the basics about driving a manual, I just had never had to put my theoretical knowledge into practice. I did just fine once I got on the freeway because you just keep it in 5th. The part I struggled the most with was going from neutral to 1st. So EVERY time I stopped whether it was at a traffic signal or because traffic in front of me wasn't moving, I stalled. Added onto that was the fact that my sister had erroneously given me the wrong directions that resulted in me going over 50 miles on the wrong highway before I figured it out. Finally I backtracked to Idaho Falls and had to negotiate the streets there. I stalled so many times at one light that I had put on the hazards and some very nice people had pulled over to see if they could help me with my car trouble. Imagine my humiliation as I had to explain that nothing was actually wrong with the car except for the operator. I'm sure they thought I was a complete idiot(and rightly so!) In Idaho I hear that they learn to drive manual transmission before they turn 12. Needless to say that I became emotionally scarred after making that trip up to Idaho. Fast forward to now and I have a car that needs a new starter. I have the part but have not found anyone who has the time to put it in for me so I have been without a vehicle for almost a month now. My parents got tired of having to go out of their way to get me to work everyday. This last Friday my dad offered to let me drive the work truck for the weekend. I knew that at some point it would have to happen because I will be driving the truck to southern Utah this week. I had extreme apprehension at driving the truck because of my experience driving to Idaho. But, either I am now better equipped to do the driving or this is way easier than the Honda Civic was, because I am actually not doing so bad! I am still having issues if I stop on a hill and my shift work can still be a little abrupt but I am feeling okay about driving now. And just okay because this weekend I felt like I was 16 again and that is not necessarily something I want to repeat!

1 comment:

Cassie Brook said...

The honda is wayy better than the truck.