Monday, April 7, 2008

The Curse of the Modern Age

I have been reminded lately that I am getting older. Not that I needed someone to tell me, but recently my baby brother started driving. (I don't know that I can really call him my "baby brother" since he is 6'2" and could probably bench press me.) I have also recently had the misfortune of paying money on a car that is not functional at the moment. Not having a readily accessible vehicle has been tough! I have enjoyed the opportunity it has given me to wander the outdoors, but for longer distance trips like to my parents house or to work, I have had to rely on the generosity of others. Between sessions of General Conference on Sunday my brother picked me up so that I could enjoy the last session and dinner with my family at their home. This was my first opportunity to ride in a car when he was driving. I had some apprehension, but I have to admit that he is actually a pretty good driver.

The reason I mention my current vehicle-less status is that I really enjoy driving! I am required to drive a lot for my job, as I go visit clients as far away as St. George and Logan. Because of this I have had the opportunity to see the best and worst of drivers. When I began this job back in November and started driving a lot more I noticed how angry I was becoming by the end of the day. I decided that something needed to change if I was going to try and stay relatively pleasant. So the attitude that I have decided to adopt is pretty simple, but one that my dad doesn't really support. I am getting paid for my mileage and for my time, so if someone wants to cut me off or be a jerk, I let them. They are not worth me getting all worked up over it and doing something stupid in return. This also applies to traffic jams. I figure that I am already late so there is no point in speeding or driving erratically which could possibly lead to an accident. So I just chill out and enjoy the drive.

A consequence of being vehicle-less has been that if I want to go somewhere relatively close, I have been getting around on my own two feet. It has been great! Despite the strange warm/cold dance that has been happening lately, I love just being outdoors. It has made me super excited to go to Moab in May and then Flaming Gorge in August. I am hoping to convince my dad to let me borrow his bike on a semi-permanent basis. I have been happy to get back to my buried natural roots. (Not my hair, no one wants to see that much gray on someone my age)

No comments: