Friday, April 11, 2008

Media Overkill

There is no doubt that we live in a world of excess. This also applies to advertising. We see the same commercials over and over and over again. Perhaps this is why we have so many TV channels and radio stations, so that we can avoid the commercials. Because of my recent car trouble I have been commuting to and from work with my parents which means I must listen to whatever they do. Which is usually the local news station KSL. I have issue with this for several reasons. First being that the morning host Amanda drives me absolutely batty. She is so positive and upbeat that it comes across as fake. The other thing that bothers me is although I understand that the station is an unofficial subsidiary of the church, there was serious overkill today promoting the new movie "Emma Smith, the untold story." When I wasn't hearing a commercial, there was some sort of "news" story about the response people are having to a movie that only opened today! They were also over-promoting the fact that producers for Deal or No Deal are here in Salt Lake with "news" stories AND commercials. I can't wait to get my car fixed!! To top it all off I was channel surfing before heading out for another fabulous installment of Girl's Night when I discovered that TBS and TNT were both airing the newest King Kong and they were only a few seconds off from each other. There is NO WAY we have run out of movies to broadcast!

No comments: