Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Not unfounded

It's funny how a few hours can change a lot of things. I blogged only hours ago about my attempts to curb my cynicism in relation to men. Why do they insist on proving to me that my generalizations and assumptions are correct? I absolutely abhor arrogance and am very annoyed when I have to tolerate someone with an over-inflated ego. I have an extremely difficult time asking for help because for some reason I seem to need to prove that I am tough and can make it without a man. I don't know who I am trying to prove this to, but the end result is that people assume that I am a tough broad and usually pay little attention to my needs. However, I have been trying to be humble enough to ask for help when I need it. Today I approached a group of 5 men and asked if I could have their help with unloading the last of my things into my new residence. I had already packed everything in my truck (with the help of my best pal) and just needed assistance in unloading. My friend and I also needed help tearing up the carpet in my old apartment so they could put in new carpet tomorrow. After making my request I was met with silence. It was like talking to a brick wall! They didn't even bother to give me excuses they just said nothing. I wasn't asking complete strangers or even casual acquaintances. I was asking guys who are supposedly part of my inner circle. Needless to say none of them showed up. Shocker! One of them did at least call me to give an excuse, a very lame one, but an excuse nonetheless. No wonder I'm cynical if they are my examples!

To top it all off one of my new neighbors apparently called the police to report my car. My non-functioning car has been parked on the street since mid-March because it needs a new starter. In that time my registration has expired and one of my tires has lost a great deal of air. The police upon learning that my car had been there that long, knocked on the door and informed my roommates that if it wasn't moved by 8 p.m. they were going to tow the vehicle. Grrrr! I wrangled a few of the non-arrogant and very accommodating guys I know from family home evening to help me push it into my driveway. Hey, good news though! I have a vacation coming up on Thursday. It will hopefully be a much needed respite from the hole that seems to be my life right now.

No comments: