Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Caving In

I finally caved and started watching American Idol last week. I watched the first couple of seasons off and on but the only one I watched regularly was the season with Clay Aiken and Ruben Studdard. A combination of factors prevented me from watching it the last couple of years, mostly working late and I have a difficult time watching people who think they are good embarrass themselves on national TV. I kept hearing that this year was different blah, blah, blah,.... the best talent ever. I've been doing a lot of work from home lately and it helps to have something on in the background so I tuned in last week which just happened to coincide with the beginning of the top 12. I was actually impressed with most of the people and have become a gigantic fan of Brooke White. (She did an awesome rendition of "Let It Be" while accompanying herself on the piano) I did however have the misfortune of listening to a girl (can't remember her name) butcher and desecrate "Eight Days a Week" country style. She truly did the worst followed not so closely by Utah's own David Archuleta. However since Idol is sometimes a popularity contest (which is one of the reasons I don't watch) they booted off a guy that from what I saw deserved to stay. The point of this all is that Fox has once again used the tried and true method of media saturation to entice me into watching and it worked. I am left with only one conclusion. Despite what I would like to think, maybe I am a lemming and can't help but follow the crowd. If that's true I'd at least like to think that maybe I am one of the lemmings at the back of the pack,............ you know the ones who pause before jumping off the cliff after everyone else.

No comments: