Saturday, March 8, 2008

Swing and a Miss

I am not particularly fond of stereotypes and don't usually like to perpetuate them. I cannot claim however that in moments of bitterness that I don't align myself with those attached to men. I do have a problem however when people use them in a general derogatory way. Yesterday I had two instances of blatant sexism and racism that threw me for a loop.

The first one occurred while I was talking to someone and they quite seriously asked "if anyone spoke English," and then proceeded to tell me that the people I associate with probably crawled under a fence or hid in the back of a van to get here. Admittedly this person was angry about a certain situation but I didn't appreciate a perfect stranger making comments like that. Granted I am a pretty pasty white, but that doesn't mean that maybe I don't hail from across the border or have a family member that does. This kind of elitist racism is an abomination and if the situation had been different I would have given the guy a piece of my mind.

The second situation occurred while I was discussing photo albums with again a perfect stranger. He was asking me some questions and was trying to think of a particular word that was eluding him. He proceeded to turn to me, the only female of the group, and ask what it was. I had no idea and he said, "Of course you do. All women scrapbook." Actually, no I don't. I do like to watch college football and take apart computers though. In fact, I have quite a few male friends who enjoy musicals and some of them even like chick flicks. Are these gender benders? Not really.

I guess the problem I had with both of these instances was that they were both complete strangers. I happen to believe that it is different than when you are sitting around with your girlfriends perpetuating stereotypes about men. You all know that it's not really true (or at least you hope so) and that one day someone will prove to you that not all men are selfish, ego-driven masochists determined to have the most unrealistic expectations for women ever. (I know I'm starting to sound bitter and cynical. Products of being recently dumped) So may I suggest that even though this is "a white man's world" that perhaps in the 21st century that we should be moving past racism and sexism toward hopefully a brighter future? One where gas doesn't cost $3.19 a gallon and where we might actually be able to attend to the important issues, ........ like why American Idol has better voter turnout than a presidential election.

No comments: