Saturday, March 1, 2008

Murphy's Law (or Hildegarde's "Luck")

Why is it that you never run into people you know when you look fabulous? Or even at decent times of the day? I had a pretty crappy night and I was bored and nothing good was on TV (shocking, I know) and I wasn't ready to turn in for the night either. So I decided to make my way to the nearest superstore, mostly because it was 11:30 and nothing else was open. I had already taken off my makeup and thrown on THE rattiest sweater and pair of jeans that I own. Not to mention that I was shopping by my lonesome at midnight on a Friday. I was in such a foul mood that I was not even attempting to look happy. Everything about me simply screamed loser. So of course I end up running into someone that I haven't seen in almost 9 years. I actually saw him coming and considered turning away and pretending I didn't recognize him, but the aisles were all blocked by merchandise awaiting the overnight stockers and I had nowhere to go. So of course we stopped and said hello. He remembered my name, I remembered his, he introduced me to his finacee. Which of course is always how these things go. I always wonder what kind of conversation happens after that. How does he explain our relationship? Yes we went to high school together and in fact his brother is my age and my sister is his. But, if I remember correctly he was one of my fun cuddle buddies. You know those guys, the touchy feely ones that are fun to flirt with because nothing will ever happen and its an unspoken agreement between the two of you. Now I doubt that's what he told his fiancee, but who knows?
Does it ultimately matter? Not really. But I still wish I could have looked like the normal me. Maybe he wouldn't have recognized me!

No comments: