Friday, March 21, 2008

Kiss Me, I'm Irish!

We have some funny ideas about holidays here in the U.S. I recently saw a beer commercial that directed people to a website where they could sign a petition to make St. Patrick's Day a national holiday. I am all for more holidays that get me out of working, (banks certainly don't need anymore) but I just thought it a bit ridiculous. I realize that this would be a major coup for the liquor industry because heaven knows we don't have enough drinking related holidays. (Fat Tuesday, New Years, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Labor Day, 4th of July)But how many people actually know why we celebrate St. Patrick's Day? If you really want to know click here.

I was out and about on St. Patrick's and happened to be driving by one of the liquor stores here in Salt Lake. I was slightly amused to observe 5 men in their 70's get out of a Cadillac and go into the liquor store. Now the amusing part is not that they were going into the liquor store, but the fact that they were dressed in kilts and everything that goes with it. I admire these men because although they are spending the day doing what a great majority of people do on this holiday, I bet they actually know why it is celebrated. The reason for the kilts? St. Patrick while lauded as an Irish saint was in fact born in Scotland.

In closing here are a few pictures from the "Kiss Me I'm Irish" party I went to.




No comments: