Saturday, March 1, 2008

Who knew they had it in them?

I really needed to get out tonight and didn't really care what I did so when my roommate suggested a movie I acquiesed. She wanted to go see "The Other Boelyn Girl" and while I wasn't particularly seeking out that movie I just didn't care what it was. When I first saw the previews for the movie I was thinking that it probably was not going to be very good. Scarlett Johanssen and Natalie Portman in a period piece? But I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of the performances and thought the movie was very well done. I in fact would not mind seeing that movie again sometime in the future. Kristin Scott Thomas did an impressive job as the mother of the Boelyn girls and the plot didn't call for it but I would have loved to have seen more of her. I think that probably my favorite performance had to be that of Natalie Portman. She brought complexity to what could have easily been a flat, one note performance. If anyone was sitting on the fence about this movie I would suggest giving it a try, it might just surprise you.

No comments: