Friday, March 14, 2008

Reconciling the two halves

I have made some lifestyle changes of late which have involved the inclusion and exclusion of certain influences in my life. These were by no means easy decisions but it came down to whether I wanted to be happy or to continue to carry loads that are not mine to carry. Part of the difficulty was that I was actually willing to share the burdens but was thwarted at every turn in my efforts. I finally had to realize that you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. Especially because they have to want to help themselves first which has come to seem less and less likely as time has gone on. Another difficulty was the reluctance of said parties to communicate, which for someone like me who does nothing but communicate (sometimes to excess) is extremely frustrating. In the time period since making these changes I have had momentary lapses in my resolve that has ususally ended with being spurned once again. The other consequences of these momentary lapses has been that I am met with silent disapproval from a dear friend who thinks that the changes I have made will be better for me. The reason I mention this now is that I am feeling a bit of guilt. My guilt has several origins the first being that it should not matter to me what my friend who silently disapproves thinks, but I do believe she only has my best interests at heart. Second being that I can't help but feel that my part in all of this has some purpose and that it's not over yet. Third for me to continue to have a part in anything that goes on it would mean that I must swallow a great deal of my pride and initiate contact once again. Besides my pride, the reason I am reluctant to do so is that part of the reason for removing myself from these situations is that I felt like all I was ever doing was initiating contact which can make you start to wonder how desirable your company is after a while. Especially when once you do plan something, they flake out on you time and time again. It is definitely not easy on the ego. So my delimma is this, do I cave into the guilt or simply leave things as they are? I am just so weary at this point that all I really want is for one of these individuals to care enough to want to initiate contact on their own. Unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon because it means that they would have had to have cared in the first place.

No comments: